Lompoc Valley Middle School
Purpose: Our focus is on the development of healthy lifestyles, movement and motor skills, and personal and social skills.
● Expectations: Students are expected to:
● Be on their assigned number before the tardy bell rings.
● Dress every day in PE shirt and PE shorts (SHIRT TUCKED INTO SHORTS).
● Participate to the best of their ability and give 100% effort.
● Listen carefully and follow all directions the first time they are given.
● Display good sportsmanship (No putdowns).
● Do not interrupt or interfere with other PE classes at any time (DO NOT TOUCH EQUIPMENT WITHOUT TEACHER INSTRUCTION).
Disciplinary Consequences: Students may be subject to any of the following disciplinary actions in order to be held accountable for poor behavior.
● Verbal warning
● Parent Contact/Teleparent contact/detention
● Referral to office/counselor contact
Severity Clause: Extreme unsafe/abusive/defiant behavior will result in a referral without any warnings!
PE Uniforms: All students are required to dress in the PE shirt and PE shorts every day for class. Shirts ($6.00) and shorts ($8.00) are sold on campus. In the event of financial hardship, see your PE instructor or counselor regarding alternative PE clothing.
● Label LVMS PE shirt (first and last name required) and shorts (first name and last initial) on the space provided. NO OTHER MARKINGS OR ALTERATIONS ARE ALLOWED.
● Socks and athletic shoes with laces (no sandals, boots, or slip-on shoes).
● Sweatshirts (no hoods) and sweat pants are not required but are recommended for cold or rainy days (acceptable colors: dark blue, black, or gray).
● Students are required to wear loaner clothes if they forget their uniform.
● No hats, sunglasses, jewelry, street clothes, visible boxer shorts, or jackets are permitted when participating in physical activity.
Locker Room Rules (posted in the locker room): The locker rooms are for dressing only. Our motto is: “GET IN, GET DRESSED, AND GET OUT” as soon as possible. Our goal is three minutes or less.
● Please do not bring valuables to PE class (cell phones, iPods, large amounts of cash, etc.). You are responsible for your own items.
● Always check to make sure your locker is locked before you leave the locker room.
● No food, drinks, candy, or gum.
● For lost items: Check the lost and found located in the shower area or ask your PE teachers.
● Follow the school rules: Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible
Tardy Policy: You must be on your assigned number quietly facing forward.
● LVMS school wide tardy policy will be followed.
● Students may be excused from PE for medical reasons for up to two consecutive days with a parent’s note. A doctor’s note is required for extended illness/ injury beyond two days. Any notes should be taken to the nurse before school.
● A medical note does not excuse a student from attending class, dressing out, or participating in activities that he/she can safely complete.
● A student who receives a non-participating medical note will be giving a writing assignment that must be completed by the end of the period.
Absences: Students are required to make-up all excused absences. It is the STUDENT’S responsibility to complete and return an ACTIVITY LOG for each excused absence.
Course Description: This course requires you to participate in the following areas:
● Daily Routine: Dress and sit down on the roll call number.
● Warm-Ups: physical fitness components (strength, endurance, flexibility, and cardiovascular endurance).
● Teacher instruction, the activity of the day, returning equipment, and reporting scores.
● Return to the locker room, dress, and stand on roll call number until the passing bell rings.
● Physical Fitness Training and Testing.
● Activity Units: Units include various field and court games, non-traditional games, fitness circuits and individual lifetime activities (dance, disc golf, pickleball, volleyball).
Grading Policy: Students earn points each day they are present, actively participate, and demonstrate positive behavior. Points will be lost for the following reasons:
● Rude, defiant, disrespectful behavior (including profanity and spitting on the blacktop)
● Lack of effort (during warm-ups, activity, and moving from one location to another)
● Not following directions/rules (examples: gum, shirt not tucked in)
Grading Scale: Students earn points for all assignments (participation and skills/written assessments).
● A= 100-90%, B= 89-80%, C=79-70%, D= 69-60%, F= 59-0%
Teacher Contact: School Phone Number: 805-742-2600
Ms. Grover (X-3551) Mr. Turner (X-3881) Mrs. Ferguson (X- 3805 )
Parents and students are to read and discuss this information together. Please sign and return it to your teacher as a written assignment. THANK YOU!
I have read and discussed these class policies with my student/parent. I will keep this information in my PE section of my binder for further reference.
(Student Signature) (Parent Signature)
(Print Student’s Name) (Print Parent’s Name)