LOMPOC VALLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL
PURPOSE in Physical Education - is an attempt to provide a successful, exploratory environment. Success in basic physical skills can lead to an increase in confidence and motivation, and thus be carried beyond the gymnasium. An exploratory program is one that provides the students with a large variety of lifetime activities and competitive sports.
- 1. All students are required to dress in a PE shirt ($7.00), PE shorts($8.00) and sneakers every class period. Its recommended to purchase a uniform and this is done at the main office.
- 2. Label PE shirt and shorts (first name and last initial) NO OTHER MARKINGS ARE ALLOWED
- 3. Socks and sneakers with laces tied - NO flip flops, sandals or boots.
- 4. Sweatshirts ($11.00) and sweatpants ($00) are acceptable and available for purchase in the office. (good for cold days) If you bring your own sweatshirts and/or sweat pants then the recommended colors are. a) blue, b) black and c) grey. No jeans are allowed. NO cell phones are allowed in your pockets or anywhere but locked up in your locker. (see disciplinary consequences)
- 5. No jackets or street/school clothes, Example - flannel and collared shirts. You can't wear your school clothes under your PE uniform
- 6. Loaner clothes are available if needed - Students are required to wear a loaner uniform if they forget their PE uniform. (after three non-dresses= detention and parent contact)
- 7. No sunglasses, watches, jewelry and visible boxer shorts are permitted when participating in physical activity.
- 8. Refusing to wear a PE uniform means you are NOT If you are excused from PE for the day, you are still required to dress out.
The Physical Education grade is determined by your participation in class.
Students earn 120 points each 6 weeks marking period for Participation.
Participation in PE represents 100 % of the 6-week grade. Students earn 120 points each 6-week marking period by participating properly in PE class. 4 points for each class.
BEHAVIOR IS PART OF THIS GRADE.
The participation grade is based on the following criteria:
- 1. Attitude and behavior - Enthusiasm toward each lesson and respect for classmates and
2.. Effort - Trying your best at all times and for every lesson.
- 3. Attendance - Being on time and in class. All students are expected to be on their assigned number and quietly facing forward at the sound of the passing bell. The roll will be taken. Any student arriving after the bell will be marked tardy. Three unexcused tardiness will result in detention and parent contact.
4.. Satisfactory Conduct:- A) Displaying good sportsmanship. - We won the game but I will not brag about it. B) Encouraging others - "Don't give up! You will get a hit!" C) Staying on the team that your teacher asked you to be on. D) Being responsible - Having my locker combination written down in a safe place. F) Always trying - Participating in sports/activities that you don't like or think are hard.
5.. Preparation: A) Having a PE shirt and PE shorts on every day, B) Having proper(safe) footwear with socks on and shoes tied C) Being on your PE number and ready(sitting on number) before the teacher starts the lesson and D) Having binders and writing utensils ready for each class.
NOTE: Each time a student refuses to wear a PE uniform = 4 points will be deducted from their participation grade. Refusing to wear a PE uniform means no participation points that day.
NOTE: Written Tests/Assignments (part of participation grade).
Disciplinary Consequences: Students may be subject to any of the following disciplinary actions in order to be held accountable for poor behavior.
- Verbal warning
- Parent contact/Detention
- Referral to office
Severity clause: Extreme unsafe/abusive/defiant behavior will result in a referral without any warnings!
EXCUSES FROM PE
1.Parent's note: Will be required to be excused from PE. MISSED WORK MUST BE MADE UP TO EARN LOST POINTS. (This note must be turned into the main office.)
2.Doctor's note: Can also be used to be excused from PE and must be turned into the main office.
A student that is not participating will be assigned a substitute reading/writing assignment to earn missed points.
Make-up assignments - It will be possible to make up points due to excused absences or parental medical excuses. Make - up assignments will be accepted only if within the 3 weeks of the absence or excuse. It is the responsibility of the student to. a) Get the makeup work from their teacher. b) Complete and hand in make-up assignments. Tardiness, misbehavior and non-dresses can not be made up.
WE HAVE READ THE EXPECTATIONS/GRADING POLICIES WITH OUR CHILD, UNDERSTAND THE GUIDELINES, AND AGREE TO SUPPORT THEM.
Student Printed Name