It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to notify the attendance office at (805) 742-3010 when their student is absent from school. Parents may leave a message on the 24-hour attendance line at (805) 742-3010. Parents desiring information concerning their student’s attendance are encouraged to call the attendance office between 7:30 am - 4:00 pm at (805) 742-3010.
- Clear all absences within 5 days of the first day of absence.
- Make necessary appointments outside of school hours when possible.
- Plan vacations during school related breaks and days off.
- Request medical homebound instruction if the student’s physician requires the student to be absent for ten (10) or more consecutive school days due to an illness or an injury. Parents are asked to contact the school nurse for more information.
- Request Short-Term Independent Study Contract for short-term absences between 5-10 days. Parents/guardians are asked to speak to the attendance office about this contract. This contract requires the signature of the student teachers, parents and the administrator.
- Encourage your student to arrive to each class on time and prepared to work.
- Remind your student to check into the attendance office for a tardy pass when they arrive late to school due to a doctor, dentist, appt., court appearance or any other reason.
- It is the student’s responsibility to sign in and receive a pass to return to class when speaking to a staff member other than their assigned teacher, Such as: administrators, counselors, school nurse, outreach consultant, outside agency etc.
Note: Excessive unexcused tardies may result in an administrative or teacher assigned detention or denied permission to attend athletic events or school activities or run for ASB leadership positions.
Off Campus Pass
- All students leaving campus during the school day must get an Off-Campus Pass from the attendance or nurse’s office prior to leaving the campus. Parent permission is required for an Off-Campus Pass. If your student calls you to pick them up, request an Office Campus Pass. Failure to do so may result in an unexcused absence for periods missed.
Note: Students leaving without a pass could receive an unexcused (personal) absence for the periods missed and possible disciplinary action.
Truancy Intervention and Parent Accountability Program
Any student, who is absent without a valid excuse, is considered to be truant. Students who accrue the equivalent of three (3) days of unexcused absences or (18) single periods will be referred to the LUSD Truancy Program. Click on the following link to see truancy steps and possible consequences.